The Temporary Skilled Migration Visa (Subclass 482) is a visa that allows the holder to work in Australia for up to a maximum of four years. It is a temporary visa that allows the holder to stay in Australia for up to four years. If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident and have worked in a skilled occupation for at least one year, you can apply for a 482 visa. This temporary visa allows you to stay in Australia temporarily while continuing to work in your profession.

How do I qualify for it?

To qualify for this program, you must have:

  • A job offer from an employer located in Australia that requires specific specialized knowledge or skills;
  • Worked at least one year as a part-time or full-time professional employee within the past three years; and
  • Demonstrated English language ability.

Subclass 482 – temporary skill shortage visa | Main applicant

The main applicant is the person who has applied for the 482 visa class to work in Australia. The spouse and dependent children of this main applicant may also be included in their application.

  • Who is the main applicant? The person applying for this visa will be considered the primary or ‘main’ applicant. This could include:
  • Who are your dependents? If you have family members who would like to live with you while they study or work in Australia, they can apply as dependents on your 482 Visa application.
  • This includes both parents and grandparents and siblings under 18 years old who are unmarried and not married/in a de facto relationship.

How do I apply for a TSS visa?

You can apply online if you are an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of Australia.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Personal details (name, date of birth and country of birth),
  • Qualifications and skill assessment results,
  • Employment history in Australia and overseas, including dates worked for each employer and your current position with your employer in Australia/overseas. If you’ve been unemployed for a period since arriving in Australia, then please explain what this was due to, e.g., maternity leave etc.,
  • Contact details for referees who could be asked about your character or work skills (please note that referees must use their full names when submitting references). Ensure they have enough time before the deadline so they don’t forget! Remember, not everyone has access to email – phones are sometimes better than emails because some people don’t check them regularly enough.

Primary applicant eligibility (Main applicant)

The following requirements must be met for you to be eligible as the main applicant:

  • You must have a skill shortage in your nominated occupation and meet the requirements.
  • It would help if you also had a suitable English language level unless you are from one of the countries where this is waived.
  • You must be under 50 years of age unless you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident who has spent at least one year working in Australia. In this case, whether or not it was before your 18th birthday becomes irrelevant. There is no age limit if you were born outside Australia and meet both these conditions.
  • Your application should include evidence that shows that you can speak, read and write English. This may be through testing results or previous employment experience.
  •  If applicable to your circumstance and based on how long ago it occurred, evidence might also need proving that demonstrates an understanding of Australian society, including values such as tolerance and respect for others’ beliefs/values/rights/freedoms; equality between men & women; democracy; the rule of law; free speech etcetera – this may include some formative examples from education or work experience.