As an Uber driver, you rely on your vehicle to provide a service to passengers and earn a living. However, accidents can happen at any time, leaving you with significant physical, emotional, and financial damage.
Unfortunately, statistics show that many drivers do not receive the settlement they are entitled to following an accident. In fact, as per the Government Accountability Office, rideshare drivers are often denied benefits and compensation because they are classified as independent contractors.
For example, in Atlanta, a study found that 68% of Uber drivers were unaware of the insurance coverage provided by the company. Therefore, it is crucial to understand your rights and take steps to protect them in the event of an accident.
This article will provide guidance on protecting your rights following an accident.
Understanding Your Legal Rights
Understanding your legal rights in the event of an accident is essential. First and foremost, it is crucial to know that Uber is responsible for providing insurance coverage for their drivers.
However, the scope may vary based on the circumstances of the accident. It’s important to note that such drivers are not employees but are classified as independent contractors, which may affect the compensation they receive.
In such cases, it is recommended to seek the advice of an experienced atlanta uber accident attorney who can support you in navigating the legal complexities and ensure you receive fair compensation. They will gather information for your case and use their legal knowledge to get you all the reimbursements.
Steps to Take After an Accident
In the event of a mishap as a driver, there are several crucial steps you should take to protect yourself and your passengers:
- Check for injuries: The safety and well-being of all parties involved should be the top priority. Call 911 if necessary.
- Document the accident: Take photographs of the accident scene, including vehicle damage and any injuries.
- Exchange information: Collect contact and insurance information from all parties involved in the accident.
- Notify Uber: Report the accident to Uber through the app or by calling their emergency hotline.
- Gather witness information: Collect names and contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact your personal insurance company: Even though Uber provides insurance coverage, it’s essential to notify your insurance company about the accident.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you don’t feel wounded, it’s a good idea to get reviewed by a medical specialist to rule out hidden injuries.
After an accident, you must seek fair compensation for damages, injuries, and lost wages. It’s essential to understand the types of payment available, including medical expenses, property damage, and pain and suffering.
Negotiating with insurance companies and Uber to maximize your compensation is also crucial. Working with a knowledgeable attorney specializing in Uber accident cases can help ensure you receive fair compensation.
They can help you understand the legal options and negotiate with insurance companies and Uber on your behalf. It’s essential to keep accurate records and document all costs related to the accident to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Protecting your rights as an Uber driver following an accident is crucial for your physical, emotional, and financial well-being. Knowing your legal rights, taking necessary steps, and seeking legal counsel can help you receive fair compensation.